Our intensive provides a unique opportunity to study intimately with Company members of Shen Wei Dance Arts (SWDA) in the world’s dance capital, New York City. SWDA's Winter Intensive 2018 will provide a 6-day informed pathway for opening the body and mind to new ways of approaching dance.
CLASSES WILL INCLUDE:
Delve into Shen Wei’s Natural Body Development Technique. Through the investigation of movement ideas, classes will research breath, internal energy, momentum, rotation, and flow. These richly detailed 2 1/2 hour classes provide in-depth knowledge of Shen's technique and tools for new ways of moving.
Learn excerpts from selected Company repertory. Through individual and collective movement research, each dancer will have a chance to work on group and solo material within the repertory. This winter we will focus on learning repertory from works as varied as the groundbreaking Connect Transfer and the mesmerizing Near the Terrace.
Students will develop a more intimate relationship with Shen Wei’s choreography and creative process through classes in: Improvisation/Invention, Partnering, Performance Qualities, Site-Specific Explorations, and Yoga/Body Work. By examining concepts, qualities, and creative tools within the company repertory, dancers will be challenged to probe the subtleties and details of focus, energetics, and intention while also discovering how Shen Wei’s background in Chinese Opera and visual arts informs his process.
Classes Run January 8 through 13, 2018
Monday through Friday: 10 am to 6 pm*
Saturday: 12:30 to 6pm
*Monday, January 8 Registration and Orientation: 9am to 10am
Optional Evening Activities Almost Every Night.
Shen Wei Dance Arts will offer a limited number of work-study positions to help defray the cost of tuition. Positions will be offered based on both need and merit. Only partial tuition will be covered by these positions. Work Study applications must be submitted no later than November 10th, 2017. Applicants will be notified no later than November 20th. (Full tuition refunds granted for requests made on or before November 20.) To be considered, work study applicants must have fully completed their registration, including payment of 1/2 of tuition and registration fee, if applicable.
Testimonials from our recent intensives:
- The week gave me not only the opportunity to dance, but to go deeper into peeling away layers of myself and connect more closely with the artistry of Shen Wei’s movement. I’ve trained all my life as a dancer and every day of this workshop I found myself learning something new, from subtle details to large expansive movements.–LuLu
- It really gave me knowledge of my body and how it can move.
- Choreographically the workshop has given me lots of inspiration and tools. I loved every teacher. An amazing progression. I learned so much!
- Between the work, the dancers, the accompanists, and the teachers, everything about this experience was just beautiful.–Caitlin
- A unique resonating style. Unlike anything I have ever experienced.
- I received much attention and sincerely felt my growth just within 5 days.
- The pacing was perfect. I was challenged, but not so much that I couldn’t learn.
- Feeling artistically nurtured and inspired. This has been an amazing week, so thank you!
- I feel as though I have found an entirely new body to work with as a dancer–Nikki
- I feel like the Company dancers cared about all of us as individuals and took the time and care communicating with us and helping us progress. This is rare to find in an intensive.–Isabelle