Our intensive provides a unique opportunity to study intimately with Company members of Shen Wei Dance Arts (SWDA) in the world’s dance capital, New York City. SWDA's Summer Intensive 2017 will provide a two-week informed pathway for opening the body and mind to new ways of approaching dance.
CLASSES WILL INCLUDE:
Delve into Shen Wei’s Natural Body Development Technique. Through the investigation of movement ideas, classes will research breath, internal energy, momentum, rotation, and flow. These richly detailed 2 1/2 hour classes provide in-depth knowledge of Shen's technique and tools for new ways of moving.
Learn excerpts from selected Company repertory. Through individual and collective movement research, each dancer will have a chance to work on group and solo material within the repertory. This summer we will focus on learning repertory from works as varied as Rite of Spring, Near the Terrace, Connect Transfer and Collective Measures. Repertory classes will build towards an informal showing at the end of the intensive.
Students will develop a more intimate relationship with Shen Wei’s choreography and creative process through classes in: Improvisation/Invention, Partnering, Performance Qualities, Site-Specific Explorations Outdoors, and Yoga/Body Work. By examining concepts, qualities, and creative tools within the company repertory, dancers will be challenged to probe the subtleties and details of focus, energetics, and intention while also discovering how Shen Wei’s background in Chinese Opera and visual arts informs his process.
Monday, July 10 - Registration, Orientation, and Welcome
Week 1-Classes begin Tuesday, July 11
and continue through Saturday July 15
Week 2-Classes begin Monday, July 17
and continue through Saturday, July 22
Testimonials from our recent intensives:
- The week gave me not only the opportunity to dance, but to go deeper into peeling away layers of myself and connect more closely with the artistry of Shen Wei’s movement. I’ve trained all my life as a dancer and every day of this workshop I found myself learning something new, from subtle details to large expansive movements.–LuLu
- It really gave me knowledge of my body and how It can move.
- Choreographically the workshop has given me lots of inspiration and tools.I loved every teacher. An amazing progression. I learned so much!
- Between the work, the dancers, the accompanists, and the teachers, everything about this experience was just beautiful.–Caitlin
- A unique resonating style. Unlike anything I have ever experienced.
- I received much attention and sincerely felt my growth just within 5 days.
- The pacing was perfect. I was challenged, but not so much that I couldn’t learn.
- Feeling artistically nurtured and inspired. This has been an amazing week, so thank you!
- I feel as though I have found an entirely new body to work with as a dancer–Nikki